The Action Plan
The Inner Melbourne Action Plan (IMAP) approved in 2006 set out 11 regional strategies and 57 actions to address one simple objective: to make the Inner Melbourne Region more liveable.
Map 1: Capital City Functions.pdf (1.48 MB) shows the key capital city functions of Inner Melbourne.
There are seven Action Plan Maps that show the geographical areas that will be impacted by the strategies.
The following strategies were identified to achieve the vision of IMAP:
- Celebrate the unique and concentrated 19th century heritage of the Inner Melbourne Region.
- Effectively link transport routes so that the Inner Melbourne Region is accessible throughout by walking, cycling and public transport.
- Minimise the growing impact of traffic congestion.
- Increase public transport use
- Plan to accommodate 90,000 more dwellings by 2030.
- Support the distinct and diverse character of Activity Centres.
- Promote the Inner Melbourne Region as an investment location for knowledge rich business sectors.
- Facilitate the growing importance of the Inner Melbourne Region as south-east Australia's freight hub.
- Substantially improve the environmental performance of the Inner Melbourne Region.
- Complete the regional open space network.
- Promote the Inner Melbourne Region as a tourism destination.
Please note: Document(s) on this page are presented in PDF format. If you do not have the Adobe Reader, you can download a copy free from the Adobe web site.